New Tort of Family Violence CPD
What Every Family Lawyer and Civil Litigator Needs to Know About the New Tort of Family Violence
October 20, 2022 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Laura Camarra, Camarra Law
Anju Fujioka, Beckett Personal Injury Lawyers
Claire Houston, Faculty of Law, Western University
Zahra Vaid, Lerners LLP
Hilary Jenkins, McKenzie Lake Lawyers
Tinashe Madzingo, Diamond & Diamond Lawyers
Recently, the Court has recognized a new tort of family violence. Victims of family violence now have access to a new civil remedy that acknowledges the unique suffering that victims face when they experience violence from a loved one. Recognition of this new tort makes it essential, now more than ever, that family lawyers and civil litigators know how to recognize and respond to clients experiencing family violence.
This program aims to cover practical and procedural considerations and strategies that family and civil litigation lawyers must know when dealing with clients who are victims of family violence.
During this program, you can expect to learn:
– the anatomy of the new tort of family violence;
– when to seek the advice of a family lawyer or a civil lawyer;
– skills for a trauma-informed lawyer;
– how the tort of family violence interacts with parallel proceedings (criminal, child protection, divorce);
– how the tort of family violence interacts with existing torts; and
– considerations when navigating different courts (family vs. civil) and jurisdictions (unified vs. non-unified courts).